Length: 67 credits
Purpose: The focus of this program is to provide highly skilled industrial technicians for a regional workforce. Qualified electronic technicians are needed in ever increasing numbers to assist local business and industry in taking full advantage of computerized systems, automation, and controls. The manufacturing environment of the 21st century integrates several advanced technologies including sensors, transducers, automated controls, programmable logic controls, motor control circuits, motor drives, pneumatics, microprocessors, computer hardware, and software applications. A strong educational background is required to install, maintain, troubleshoot, and repair such advanced systems.
Program Learning Outcomes: A student will be able to:
- demonstrate proficiency in oral communication
- demonstrate effective written communication skills
- demonstrate proficiency in mathematical skills to solve problems
- demonstrate proficiency in scientific reasoning
- demonstrate proficiency in information technology
- demonstrate the ability to reason critically and apply logic to solve problems
- demonstrate the ability to write a ladder program with two inputs and one output
- learn schematic symbols that apply to building a circuit with electronic devices on a bread board from a schematic diagram
- three phase motor structure and function will be emphasized to enable students to wire a single start-stop control station with a motor starter from a line diagram
Potential Certifications: Students will have the opportunity to earn a number of industry recognized certifications designed to enhance their abilities and ultimately improve their performance in specialized areas. All certifications listed below are offered through Siemens, the industry leader in automation.
NOTE: Students will be responsible for testing fees.
*Siemens Certification in Level 1 Mechatronics
*Siemens Certification in Level 2 Mechatronics
*Siemens Certification in Programmable Logic Controllers
*Siemens Certification in Variable Frequency Drives
Occupational Objectives: Employment opportunities for graduates of this program include positions as electronics technician, industrial electronics technician or service technician.