Length: 62 credits
Purpose: This program provides knowledge and skills leading to immediate employment in the field of accounting. People who wish to qualify for promotion in a present position to another field may benefit from this program. Students are strongly urged to consult their faculty advisor in planning programs.
Employment Objectives: Some of the occupations and positions for which graduates of this program may qualify are accounting technician, junior accountant or accountant.
Potential Certification: A student may elect to take an industry-specific certification exam. The examinations generally require a testing fee paid by the student. After completion of this program, a student will be academically prepared to take the following examinations:
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) - Excel
- American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers - Certified Bookkeeper (CB) (requires related work experience and code of ethics agreement)
Program Learning Outcomes: A student will be able to:
- demonstrate minimum proficiency in General Education Skills which are defined as oral communication, written communication, mathematical/problem solving, scientific reasoning, information literacy, and critical thinking
- demonstrate the ability to perform payroll
- demonstrate the ability to prepare a complex tax return
- demonstrate a mastery of QuickBooks Accounting Software
- demonstrate acceptable workplace skills, attitudes, and behaviors