Current Job Opportunities
Gainful Employment Information
Length: 28-29 credits
Purpose: This program is designed to prepare a student for entry level practice in the health care field in the area of patient care in a variety of health service facilities and/or desires to advance in the nursing field creating a pathway to registered nursing/practical nursing.
Employment Objective: Students who successfully complete the appropriate courses may be eligible for employment in hospitals, skilled/residential nursing facilities, home care, physician offices, or other health related fields.
Potential Certification: After successful completion of the nurse aide courses, students will be eligible to apply to take the certification test for Certified Nurse Aide in Virginia. After successful completion of the Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation course, student will receive American Heart Association BLS certification. A student who resides outside of Virginia and plans to apply for certification as a nurse aide subsequent to completion of this education program may not meet the requirements of certification for the student’s state of residence.
Program Learning Outcomes: The student will be able to:
- demonstrate skillful delivery of patient care at the nurse aide level of preparation; and
- identify common medical terms utilized in the health care setting.
Physical Requirement: The minimal functional requirements for all entering nurse aide students include:
- sufficient eye-hand coordination and manual and finger dexterity to provide direct patient care and to manipulate and operate equipment in the delivery of patient care;
- sufficient ability to fully observe patients/patient conditions and provide patient care, read patient health information, and observe and manipulate equipment, including in dimly lit environments;
- sufficient hearing to communicate with patients and healthcare team members, including ability to recognize and report changes;
- satisfactory communication skills, to include competence in reading, writing and speaking in English, in the classroom, laboratory, and clinical settings to allow for accurate recording and reporting of patient information;
- ability to perform patient care activities that require full range of motion including handling, lifting, or moving patients and/or equipment;
- ability to lift and carry items weighing up to 50 pounds;
- ability to successfully perform all required duties and responsibilities in classroom, laboratory and clinical settings in stressful situations or conditions;
- ability to participate in classroom, laboratory, and clinical settings during irregular hours (day/evening/night shifts, weekends, more than 8 hours at a time).
Curriculum Requirements: Students will be required to undergo mandatory drug screening and criminal background check. Students must have a negative drug screen and criminal background check to be eligible for clinical learning experiences. Students must earn a grade of C or higher in all semsters of ENG, NAS, PSY, SDV, and CST courses to be elgible to apply to nursing. A grade of C or higher is required in NUR 27 and NUR 21. Clinical/field/preceptor experiences require access to contracted clinical agencies.
Financial Requirements: In addition to the usual college tuition and fees, the program requires additional expenses.
Approximate Costs May Include:
|Criminal background check
|Uniform and shoes
|Tuberculin (TB) Skin Test
|Transportation to clinical agencies as required.