Length: 65 credits
Purpose: Individuals who are seeking their first employment or those who wish to qualify for promotion in a present position or to another field, including self-employment, may benefit from this program. This program prepares a student for work in a general office setting with specialized training in various medical office areas. The program enables the student to become proficient in administrative duties and provides additional skills in a medical setting.
Employment Objectives: Completion of this program may lead to employment or career advancement in any of a wide variety of positions such as administrative assistant, administrative secretary, executive secretary, medical secretary, medical transcriptionist, customer service representative, office services specialist, and clerical supervisor.
Potential Certification: A student may elect to take an industry-specific certification exam. The examinations generally require a testing fee paid by the student. After completion of this program, a student will be academically prepared to take the following examinations:
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) - Word, PowerPoint, Excel;
- Certified Administrative Professional (CAP) and Certified Professional Secretary (CPS) - sponsored by the International Association of Administrative Professionals (IAAP) (requires related work experience).
Program Learning Outcomes: A student will be able to:
- demonstrate minimum proficiency in General Education Skills which are defined as oral communication, written communication, mathematical/problem solving, scientific reasoning, information literacy, and critical thinking
- demonstrate the management of health information through the use of filing system and electronic health records
- apply mathematical reasoning skills to formulate and solve problems as applied to electronic billing
- demonstrate proficiency with computer software, business application, and information literacy
- demonstrate acceptable workplace skills, attitudes, and behaviors