Length: 62 credits
Purpose: Individuals, who are seeking their first job or those who wish to qualify for promotion in a present position or to another field, including self-employment, may benefit from this program. Students will be provided knowledge, skills, and training necessary to start a business and manage the functional areas of the business to become a successful entrepreneur.
Occupational Objectives: Completion of this program may lead to employment or career advancement in a wide variety of positions such as entrepreneur, small business owner, small business advisor, small business partner, proprietor, owner-operator, or consultant for small business.
Potential Certification: A student may elect to take an industry- specific certification exam. The examinations generally require a testing fee paid by the student. After completion of this program, a student will be academically prepared to take the following examinations:
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) - Excel.
Program Learning Outcomes: A student will be able to:
- demonstrate minimum proficiency in General Education Skills which are defined as oral communication, written communication, mathematical/problem solving, scientific reasoning, information literacy, and critical thinking;
- outline the decision making process for managers using various decision making techniques;
- demonstrate the ability to gather, interpret, and disseminate financial information;
- demonstrate acceptable workplace skills, attitudes, and behaviors;
- explain the importance of entrepreneurial qualities and describe the characteristics of successful entrepreneurs; and
- create a business plan necessary to initiate and open a small business.